What is a Local School Improvement Council?
Local School Improvement Councils (LSIC) are required per W.Va. Code § 18-5A-2. These councils exist at each public school in West Virginia. Membership of the LSIC is comprised of teachers, service personnel, bus drivers, parents, business and community representatives. An election occurs annually for membership. The LSIC is directly involved with the operation of the local school in many ways. The LSIC reviews discipline data and procedures yearly and submits written recommendations to the local school board. They encourage involvement of the school community with the school operation through regular LSIC meetings and collaboration. They support local initiative for school improvement by being directly involved with the strategic planning and innovative ideas. A direct link with the local school board occurs through an annual meeting at which all school aspects inclusive of academics, athletics, discipline, school climate, facilities, needs, improvement and recommendations are presented and discussed.
The West Virginia Department of Education has developed an electronic resource for schools and communities to assist them in their efforts to provide quality school improvement through Local School Improvement Councils.
How often does the UHS LSIC meet?
The UHS LSIC typically meet on the first Thursday of the month from September through May. Please check our school calendar, though, because sometimes we meet on the second Thursday or not at all.
Current UHS LSIC Members:
• Kim Greene Principal – Ex Officio Member firstname.lastname@example.org
• Lisa Kukura, Parent, 2nd year of 2 year term email@example.com
• Mollie Hamilton, 1st of 2 year term Mollihamilton@gmail.com
• Megan Zeni, 1styear of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
• Jeff O’Neil, Faculty, 2nd year of 2 year term email@example.com
• Carrie Beatty, Faculty, 2nd year of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
• Jessica Eades, Faculty, 1st year of 2 year term email@example.com
• Jeannie Oiler, Faculty, 1st Yr of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
• Nada Kisner, Business Partner, At Large member email@example.com
Local School Improvement Council Orientation Materials