What is a Local School Improvement Council?
Local School Improvement Councils (LSIC) are required per W.Va. Code § 18-5A-2. These councils exist at each public school in West Virginia. Membership of the LSIC is comprised of teachers, service personnel, bus drivers, parents, business and community representatives. An election occurs annually for membership. The LSIC is directly involved with the operation of the local school in many ways. The LSIC reviews discipline data and procedures yearly and submits written recommendations to the local school board. They encourage involvement of the school community with the school operation through regular LSIC meetings and collaboration. They support local initiative for school improvement by being directly involved with the strategic planning and innovative ideas. A direct link with the local school board occurs through an annual meeting at which all school aspects inclusive of academics, athletics, discipline, school climate, facilities, needs, improvement and recommendations are presented and discussed.
The West Virginia Department of Education has developed an electronic resource for schools and communities to assist them in their efforts to provide quality school improvement through Local School Improvement Councils.
How often does the UHS LSIC meet?
The UHS LSIC typically meet one Thursday of the month from September through May. Please see below for a list of upcoming meetings.
Current UHS LSIC Members:
- Kim Greene Principal – Ex Officio Member firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wendy Witherell & Leann Hanshew, PTSO President
- Jennifer Lyons, 1st year of 2 year term
- Mollie Hamilton, 2nd of 2 year term Mollihamilton@gmail.com
- Megan Zeni, 2nd year of 2 year term email@example.com
- Jeff O’Neil, At large member, 1st year of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carrie Beatty, Faculty, 2nd year of 2 year term email@example.com
- Jessica Eades, Faculty, 2nd year of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeannie Oiler, Faculty, 2nd Yr of 2 year term email@example.com
- Nada Kisner, Business Partner, At Large member firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Cooke, Service personnel 2nd year of 2 year term
- Empy, Bus Driver 1st year of 2 year term
Local School Improvement Council Orientation Materials
Upcoming Meetings and Minutes
- 2019-2020 Schedule will be released as soon as possible.
- September 6, 2018 @ 7:00PM
- October 16th, 5:30PM at WV National Guard Readiness Center, Morgantown, WV County Wide LSIC Meeting-Brochure
- October- No meeting due to the County Wide LSIC meeting on October 16th.
- November 15, 2018 @ 6:00PM
- December- No Meeting
- January 17, 2019 @ 6:00PM
- February 21, 2019 @ 6:00PM
- March 20, 2019 @ 6:00PM- Wednesday
- April 25, 2019 @ 6:00PM